Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Cooking Class

One of the interesting things in moving to New Zealand has been adjusting to some of the food. Most of the food is similar, but the combinations that people use are very different! It has been fun to learn about the different ways that Kiwis cook. 
I have a friend that had vouchers for a cooking class and invited me to join her. We had a lovely time! Though the cuisine was Mediterranean, I still think it was very Kiwi-lots of lamb, seafood, and cream! Here are a few of the dishes: 

Lamb and Fig Tagine served with Spiced Couscous
This was good and something that I would make at home. I might not use such big figs! But a rather practical recipe for Lamb.

Spanish Paella with Chicken, Seafood, and Chorizo
Let's be honest. It was a big step for me to do fish and chips when we moved here. This is taking it a bit far. I stuck with the rice and choizos and tried to avoid the part that looked like the bottom of a fishing boat. Probably won't be making this one! 

We did two other mains, a Suquet with Clams, which I (surprisingly) really liked. We also did Paupiettes of Beef with Pate and Mushrooms. This was also good and another practical dish, though I would substitute the pate for something a bit more appetizing, such as Garlic and Feta Hummus! 

The desserts were delicious! 
Vanilla and Chocolate Bavarois
Fantastic! 

The other dessert was a lemon tart
Here is a picture of Rochelle and I enjoying our food! 
In addition to learning more about Kiwi food, it was such a fun way to meet so many other women from around the Auckland area! 


We are off to Hamilton tomorrow (for 2 days) for survey trip number 8! More on Hamilton when we get back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll have two of the chocolate bavarios (and any leftovers).

Kez