Sunday, October 14, 2007

It's Not That Anything is Going Wrong...

So Joe and I typically like to have order in our lives. We are the type of people that plan. I am the type of person that plans not only for the given event, but for all possible events that could occur while said event is going on. I am also the type of person that is completely thrown off when something happens that doesn't fit into the plan, or any of the possible plans that have been made. In the past week, I have been thrown off a lot…things haven't been going according to any plan, it's not that anything is going wrong, it just isn't in the plan!

When we were in Colorado at Missions Training International for three weeks at the beginning of the summer, we were given a stress test. We were sitting in a room with over 40 other missionaries who were taking the same test. This stress test had events listed in one column and point values listed in the other. The point of the test was to check the events that were happening in your life, and then add up the points. There were different values, 200-300 moderate stress, you should take a break; 300-400 high stress, you are on the verge of a breakdown; over 400 meant you should be hospitalized. The events listed were things like "made a move in the last year", "switched jobs in the last year", "graduated college", "traveled away for home", "had to say goodbye to loved ones", and the list went on with about fifty events. Needless to say, Joe and I scored over 1000 points, and we were some of the lowest out of all of the missionaries. The point of this test was to show us that things were not normal for us and that even if we said we were fine, we had all these stressers in our lives. This meant that often times it would be the small things that cause us to get upset.

All of this to say, as our time in the states winds down, our stressers are at an all time high, and it’s the small things, like when something doesn't go according to plan, that have been hardest for us to take in. I have learned so much during this phase of my life, that sometimes my plans don't happen because God has another one, one which is always better. I find myself realizing that I don't stop to thank God enough for having such a perfect plan for my life. Have you noticed in the Bible that when someone is petitioning God for something, we often read one or two verses about their request. When that prayer is answered, we can find whole chapters of thanksgiving to God for what he has done for them and how he has answered their prayers. I have seen God answer more prayers and take care of us more than ever in this phase of our lives, yet my prayer life isn't as full of thanksgiving as the people I read about in the Bible. I find that when God answers a prayer the way that we think it should be answered, there can be an attitude of expectation or like it's something we deserve-it's like we think God answers prayers based on who we are, not on who He is. I have been learning that when things don't go according to plan, I need to stop and pray for patience, and then thank God, knowing that He is taking care of me according to His plan.

Joe and I have tried to make more of an effort lately to stop and thank God for all of the things that He has done for us and really pouring our hearts out to Him with the joy that we have for the many, many ways that He has taken care of us. Please know that we have been thanking God for you and your prayers and encouragement. Maybe we should stop trying to plan and just roll with what comes our way in flammertime.

4 comments:

Nate said...

I think you guys are right - we, too, seem to take God's gifts for granted, as though we deserve some of it because we are living a life that might slightly resemble the one He has chosen for us.

I also think it is funny that Nate is chasing a naked Grace around right now, trying to convince her to put her clothes on (while trying not to laugh).

- whitney

Joe and Amy said...

I told you, you really should get her a bra that fits, then she would leave her clothes on! Will we get to see Grace when we visit your family?

Nate said...

I'm pretty sure Grace will be around - that is unless she's out shopping for a bra. Whitney will respond to your email today about the plans, but I think we're going to hang out Wednesday and then say goodbye after breakfast Thursday morning.

-nate

Janie said...

Amy - SO NEEDED to read your post today. Thanks for taking to the time to verbalize exactly what I've been thinking this week.

Just before I read this, I read Matthew 14, where Peter walks on the water. It was so blatantly obvious that I was acting like Peter . . . "Tell me to step out of the boat (move to Miami), Jesus, and I will." We stepped . . . everything’s looking good as we walk on the water . . . then - wham - the winds come.

Peter and I both got deceived that the winds were more powerful than Jesus . . . then took our eyes off Him. Dorks!

Thanks for joining Matthew in straightening me out and strengthening my faith this morning.

We think about and pray for all of you guys very often!

Janie