Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to School

On Wednesday I had my first day of school as a teacher! A few blogs ago I mentioned that my qualifications had been approved and that I was able to begin teaching. The process from there is very simple. Last week I walked into a school and told them I was interested in relieving, or substitute teaching. I was directed to the deputy principal who said that they always needed relievers. I was called later that afternoon and asked to relieve! 

Teachers in New Zealand generally get a reliever one day a week so that they can plan and not have to teach. This means that there is high demand for relievers. There is also a huge teacher shortage in Auckland, and in New Zealand in general right now so this also contributes to the high need for relievers. 

Though it is the beginning of the school year for the States, it is the third quarter here. The students were in their routine and I had a very laid back day with year one, which is six year olds, in the morning and year 4, which is 9 year olds, in the afternoon. I had so much fun learning yet another part of New Zealand as I spent the day at school. I was again reminded about how laid back this country is! 

There were a lot of differences between the classrooms I was at in the States and this school, but it might be too soon to make any conclusions to those differences! I will keep you posted as I (hopefully) continue to relieve one or two days a week now that we are done with our survey work. 

No comments: