Friday, April 4, 2008

Survey Says- Part II

Today we completed our fourth survey trip, this means we are about halfway through the first stage of survey work. We have learned so much during our time surveying different parts of New Zealand. 
 
In traveling to different areas of New Zealand we have really seen some of the statistics that we have studied come to life. We are finding that less than 10% of the people that we interview are regularly involved with a church. We are also seeing and hearing about the desperate family situation in New Zealand. 

One of the survey methods that has been most helpful is interviews. We do interviews with a variety of people such as school administrators, church leaders, christian leaders, and random people who are out and about. Below are some of the responses that we have recieved.

"One of the main issues I deal with is relational conflict in students. The conflict is usually based upon issues happening in their family, and the family is usually a solo family (single parent) or a blended family." 
-High School Guidance Counselor 

"I don't attend church but I think about sending my kids for educational purposes"
- Young Mom from Street Interviews
 
"I've tried going to church, but the people are evil and they judge me so I have started my own religion"
-Young Mom from Street Interviews 

"New Zealand is beginning to experience the total breakdown of the family." 
- Bible College President 

"I don't think there is anything wrong with church, but I just don't go."
-Young Adult Street Interviews 

"I went to youth group once-it was fun!"
-Teen from Street Interview

"I don't go to church because it doesn't make me feel good about myself. I have left the church and am looking for the light, once I find it I might go back to church."
-Middle Age Woman from Street Interviews

"Sometimes I think about going to church, it might be good for my family, but we just don't. There is actually a church down the road from our house, but we just don't go"
- Mom from Street Interviews

"The best way to reach people is through relationships. We need a Christian on every street showing other people the love of Christ. People might see a need for the community of the church then."
- Christian Curriculum Representative 

These are just a small sampling of some of the many responses we are getting. We are continually reminded of the challenging road that we have ahead of us. Some of the main issues that have continuously been revealed to us is the state of the family and the way the people just don't care about church or see a need for God. We have much more information from the cities that we have visited as well as interviews we have done, if you are interested to know more, please let us know! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amy is really cute.

-Joey in America