Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Travel Time

It seems like we can barely unpack from one trip before we need to pack for another! We have been very busy traveling over the past few weeks. Three weeks ago, we went to the Rodney District about thirty minutes north of Auckland for survey work. This was just a day trip which was nice. Last weekend we had Easter Camp for which we packed alot for since we were camping! We had two days of 'normal' work and life before we packed up again to go to Tauranga which is about 3 hours south west of Auckland to do more survey work. We spent two full days there interviewing school and church administrators about the community as well as conducting street interviews and doing some observations at cultural centers. We were home for about 12 hours before we left Sunday afternoon to go up further north of Auckland to a friend's bach to get away for a night. 

This morning I dropped Joe off at the airport because he is taking a quick trip back to the States. Just after we moved here Joe was asked to be the best man in his best friend's wedding. His friend's family wanted us to be a apart of the wedding so helped to fly Joe back. Joe will be gone for ten days but will be traveling for three and a half of those days. The wedding is in Florida so he will get to see his family in between his flights from New York to Florida. He also gets to go to Wal-Mart with a list I have crafted very carefully! 

While Joe is gone I have many things to keep me busy. I will be helping with the regular activities at church (Mainly Music, MOPS, Friday youth group, Sunday teaching and women's ministry meetings), I will continue working with our team (we have survey research and demographic days on Thursdays and we have another survey trip this Friday to west Auckland), and other regular activities. We also have a special youth follow up day this Saturday for all students who have made decisions this year so far that I will be helping with.

I also have a list of things that I hope to get done while I will have some extra time! I started on my list and cleaned out and organized the spare room closet. Another goal of mine is to study the New Zealand Rode Code and have a New Zealand license in hand when Joe gets back. On Sunday I will be taking part in a women's tri-athlon in Auckland. I also have some new things at church that will be taking up some of my time. I imagine that the time will go fast as my evenings are filling up with social activities as well. 

Please pray for Joe as he will be doing heaps of traveling and be going through a lot of transition and emotions as he makes this quick trip to the States. We have recently felt some of the 'twangs' of culture shock which could really affect his transition back into the lifestyle of the US for such a short time. 

No comments: